J.S. Murray was the brother of William Henry (Alfalfa Bill) Murray, Oklahoma’s ninth governor, and CSSA’s third superintendent. During his year at CSSA, the school moved from its location in the Overstreet Building to its current Warner Campus location. After his tenure at CSSA, he became superintendent of Oklahoma’s Department of County Farmers’ Institutes of the State Board of Agriculture in 1912. As such, he traveled the state by train, lecturing on better farming methods and the importance of good roads.